Is it too late to say happy new year?
Well happy new year and Happy new month! It’s the month of February 2021 already! One month in 2021 down, eleven more to go. A new month gives the sense of a new beginning and an opportunity to have another go at your dreams and goals for the year. Let’s consider January as the past and February the start of a new year, a season where everyone seeks to evaluate, strategize, re-strategize and plan for the year. The phrase ‘new year new me’ gives the illusion that a new year automatically means a new and better version of yourself will be produced. Does a new year really mean new you? To be honest, absolutely not and could even be unrealistic. You don’t automatically become a brand new version of yourself because it’s a new year. Shall we say new year better me instead? That’s a bit more realistic. However, it takes a lot of intentionality, commitment and hard work to actually be a better version of yourself.
Key things to keep in mind as you progress in the year and push towards being a better version of you.
- You are not alone; 2020 was a tough year for everyone in different sectors globally but a new year gives you another chance to achieve greatness.
- Set realistic and specific goals for each month and for the year as a whole. Even if you may not achieve all the goals, it gives a sense of direction.
- Don’t count your failures, count your wins.
- You can’t change the past but your actions today can determine the outcome of your future.
- Work hard but don’t apply too much pressure on yourself.
- Be active, take action. The reason you may be stressed is because you are overthinking more than you are doing.
- Spend some time on healthy self reflections. Evaluate yourself and give youself credit when needed. Don’t be too harsh on yourself.
- Never give up on yourself because there will always be hurdles but your ability to overcome those hurdles is what really matters in life and determines success.
- Take breaks when necessary your mental health is as important as your physical health. Open up more to trusted people or see a therapist about your problems it does magic to your mental health.
- Have some time for some form of meditation or prayer frequently.
- Focus on YOU. You are unique in your own way. Don’t ever use other people’s lives to judge yours.
We’ve probably all heard some of these at some point in our lives but this is just a reminder to keep going no matter how tough it gets, there surely is light at the end of the tunnel!
Let’s make it a habit to say NEW YEAR, BETTER ME!