ALWAYS: Use heat-protectant spray. It prevents frizz, flyaways, split ends, breakage, and dullness, says hairstylist Oscar Blandi of the Oscar Blandi Salon in New York City. Try L’Oréal Paris Color Vibrancy Dual Protect Spray, which contains light reflectors to add shine.
• ALWAYS: Choose tools wisely. Detangle with a wide-tooth rubber comb (like one by Beuy Pro) and style with a boar-bristle brush. Pick an ionic blow-dryer with 2,000 watts, a ceramic iron, or keratin-infused tools, like those from Remington Keratin Therapy.
• ALWAYS: Take the nozzle off your blow-dryer. Point it down, says hairstylist Sarah Potempa. “The heat will be more diffused.”
• NEVER: Manhandle wet hair. If you tug on it, tease it, tie it up with an elastic, sleep on it, or comb it, wet hair will likely break. Wait a few minutes after showering before detangling.
• NEVER: Obsessively flatiron. Set your iron to less than 400 degrees, or try Coolway AutoSense Styler, a flatiron that straightens without exceeding 300 degrees.
• NEVER: Neglect your scalp. “Treatments with almond, sunflower, or coconut oil help hair grow in healthier,” says dermatologist Francesca Fusco. Try Clear Scalp & Hair Beauty Therapy Damage & Color Repair Deep Nourishing Treatment Mask.
• NEVER: Skip sunscreen. Believe it or not, 100 hours of direct sunlight is as damaging as having straight bleach on your hair for 30 minutes. Mist on a spray with SPF, like Garnier Fructis Style UV Color Shield Anti-Humidity Hairspray.
CULLED FROM ALLURE