It’s that time of the year when we experience the cold, dry and dusty atmosphere. If you must have the best of this season you must take extra care of yourself; your skin most especially. As an organ of protection, regulation and sensation, the skin is been affected by external pressures that strips itof its natural moisture, of course you cannot control the natural atmosphere but you can protect your skin from its harsh effects.
- Drink water: I am pretty sure you must have heard this a couple of times. Make sure you drink plenty of water. Even though it is cold, the air is dry and can damage your skin and cause cracks.
- Moisturize. To help restore the oil in your skin and keep it hydrated, regularly apply moisturizer. There are many lotions to choose from, but try to select a lotion that works best for you. If your skin is cracked, do not apply lotion over the open wound. Use lotion regularly throughout the day but especially after washing your hands and face.
- Protect from UV rays. When you are outdoors no matter which season, it is important to use sunscreen. Reapply sunscreen regularly. Even with pants and long sleeves on, you still need to protect your face from the damaging sun.
- Be gentle. Do not scrub or wash your skin too hard or for too long. This removes essential oils even faster. Wash lightly, pat dry (don’t rub) and then moisturize for best results.
- Avoid strong soaps and detergents. Strong soaps and detergents also can remove oils from your skin. Choose a more mild soap including unscented and no dyes.
- Prevent chapped lips. Dryness, sun and cold will dry out your lips. While out be sure to regularly apply a lip balm to protect from dryness and wind. Lip gloss is your best friend this period.
- Eat a healthy diet. Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables especially those rich in Vitamin C.