Building a strong and positive relationship at work is important. To have good working relationship, you’ll need to strengthen your relationships with people that you don’t naturally get on with and people in general.
- Develop people skills: this skill is very important in building GOOD relationships at the workplace. Good relationships start with good people skills.
- Appreciate people: A ‘THANK YOU’ would go a long way to show appreciation whenever someone helps you. Everyone, from your boss to the office cleaner, wants to feel that their work is appreciated. So, genuinely compliment the people around you when they do something well. This will open the door to great work relationships.
- Communicate: communication is very important in building relationships. Learn to communicate effectively so people can understand. Also note that communication isn’t complete without feedback.
- Be positive: Positivity is attractive and it will help strengthen your relationships with your colleagues. No one wants to be around someone who’s negative all the time. Focus on being positive.
- Manage your boundaries: Set and manage your boundaries properly. We all want to have friends at work, but, occasionally, a friendship can start to impact our jobs, especially when a friend or colleague begins to monopolize our time.
If this happens, it’s important that you’re assertive about your boundaries, and that you know how much time you can devote during the work day for social interactions.