The 4C hair is beautiful and easy to care for as long as you know how to properly moisturize and maintain it. The best advice you can get on maintaining 4c hair is from women who have plenty of experience with it. Although everyone’s hair is unique, watching others’ trials can reduce the stress of finding what works for you.
- Moisturize frequently. 4C hair is usually very dry naturally, so using anything harsh won’t be beneficial when it comes to retaining moisture.
- Wash your hair at least every two weeks
- Deep condition and scalp massage. The 4C hair is known for having lots of shrinkage. As soon as water hits the tightly coiled strands, up it goes! Be sure your products/fingers are reaching your scalp to properly cleanse away dirt and product buildup. You can also buy a scalp massage at any mall or natural hair shop.
- Avoid braiding your hair frequently. Braiding hair frequently tends to pull out one’s edges.
- Use castor oil, coconut oil and shea butter
- Protective styles such as twists and corn rows with natural hair
- Use a satin bonnet
- Trim at least every three months to remove split ends.